If you are seeing an error message which says, ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ this means there is a problem with your internet connection.
Your PC does not have a valid IP address, which means it cannot connect to the internet. This can be an annoying problem but hopefully it only needs a quick fix.
A computer has to have a valid IP address, else it won’t be able to communicate with the router and then the internet.
You won’t be able to go on any website, access your emails or do anything online.
Table of Contents
Six Ways to Fix ‘Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration’
The usual cause for this error is a Network Interface Card error. It might have a problem or be outdated. There are several ways to fix such an issue:
- Restart the PC
- Reset the network adaptor
- Restart the router
- Run a network adaptor troubleshooter
- Reset the Winsock
- Update or reinstall your network connection driver
Let’s take a look at each of those in turn, and see whether one of them can fix the ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error.
FIX #1: RESTART THE SYSTEM
The fastest way to solve this issue is to restart the PC.
A restart will reset all incoming and outgoing connections, so it is worth doing this first.
FIX #2: RESET THE NETWORK ADAPTER
This is an alternative way to refresh the IP address configuration, and also a good way to fix other Windows 10 issues such as an unidentified network.
- Press the Windows key and I to open Settings.
- Type network status into the search bar then choose the first option.
- Click Change Adaptor Options under Advanced Network Settings.
- Right-click the Ethernet connection and click Disable.
- After a few seconds, click it again and choose Enable.
Hopefully you now have a new IP address.
FIX #3: RESTART THE ROUTER
Restarting the router can fix various internet connection errors, just like restarting the PC can.
Restarting the router allows it to configure a new IP address for the PC.
If your router has a power switch (usually found on the back) switch it off, wait for several seconds, then turn it on again.
If there is no power button, switch it off at the socket or remove the plug.
Wait a few seconds then turn it back on or plug it back in, as applicable.
This allows the router IP configuration time to reset and hopefully solves the error.
FIX #4: RUN A NETWORK ADAPTER TROUBLESHOOTER
There are troubleshooting tools integrated into Windows 10, including one for network adapter issues.
- Press the Windows key and S, type network adapter, then choose Find and Fix Problems.
- Click on Advanced then Apply Repairs Automatically.
- Than click Run as Administrator. You might be asked for your Windows password.
- Click Next, choose your Ethernet network adaptor and go through the questions on the screen.
The questions might vary according to what issues the troubleshooter finds along the way.
FIX #5: RESET THE WINSOCK
The Winsock, or Windows Socket, is a key component of Windows. Its function is to handle incoming and outgoing data requests for programs accessing the internet.
It helps to manage your online connection software which uses it.
There are some commands you can use with the Winsock reset to help reconfigure the Ethernet IP address.
- Type command prompt into the search bar on the Start menu, then click Best Match and then Run as Administration.
- Type in the following, one by one, and press enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /renew nbtstat –R nbtstat –RR netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt netsh winsock reset
Once you have done this, restart the PC.
FIX #6: UPDATE OR REINSTALL YOUR NETWORK CONNECTION DRIVER
Although Windows 10 tries to keep drivers up to date automatically, it is not foolproof.
Manually update your Wi-Fi and Ethernet adaptors to ensure they are not responsible for the ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error.
- Press the Windows key and X, then choose Device Manager.
- Click Network Adaptors then find your Ethernet connection driver.
- It should be the one with ‘Ethernet’ in its name.
- Right-click it and click Update Driver. Click on Search Automatically for Drivers.
The PC will search on your system for the best driver, and install a more up to date version if it is found.
This is everything you need to know about Ethernet Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration error on Windows.
With a bit of luck, one of these six fixes is going to be able to solve the error.