Have you tried to update Discord but update failed? Discord is a VoIP service used by gamers all over the world, held in high esteem for its awesome features.
However, the Discord service uses a lot of your PC’s resources and also requires a number of permissions from various apps, which means it can conflict with other computer processes and cause errors.
This can lead to problems trying to update Discord because of Discord files you have on your PC, your antivirus or other software, or a mixture of these.
Perhaps you can’t hear your team mates or your microphone won’t pick up your voice. Maybe you want to share your screen with friend but audio is not working.
To fix following problems you need to update your Discord. But what to do if discord update failed?
Table of Contents
How To Fix Discord Update Failed
There are a number of fixes you can try to fix a Discord not updating error, so let’s take a look and hopefully one of them will work for you.
Solution #1: Launch Discord as an Admin
Before uninstalling anything or changing settings, the first step is to launch the app as an administrator.
This step might fix the updating issue if Discord needs admin-level privileges to run.
Before you start, make sure Discord is closed and not running any processes on your computer. You can check this using Task Manager and end any Discord processes which are still running.
- Right click the Discord icon on your PC desktop
- Click Run as Administrator then click Yes
- The update should now complete
Solution #2: Reinstall Discord
If trying to update as an admin didn’t work, the next step is to reinstall the app. You can get a new installer from DiscordApp and then just run that.
If your PC isn’t letting you reinstall it, go to Task Manager and end any Discord processes then try again.
You could also attempt to install the latest Discord version (including the update) on the same version of Discord already on your computer.
Solution #3: Disable Windows Defender and Firewall
Windows Defender is Windows 10’s built-in antivirus and it can occasionally misclassify safe files as potentially threatening ones.
This is how to disable it which you update Discord:
- Run Settings in Cortana search
- Now go to Update and Security
- Click on Windows Security
- Click on Virus and Threat Protection
- Click on Manage Settings
- Switch the Turn On Real Time Protection to Off
- Save your changes
- Exit the app and try to update Discord
- If successful, go back to Windows Security and turn Real Time Protection back on
Another way to do this is to get Windows Defender Firewall to unblock all incoming connections.
This is how to do that:
- Open Cortana search
- Type Firewall and Network Protection
- Run the program
- Now open the active network connection
- Unclick Block all incoming connections under Windows Defender Firewall
- Disable the Windows Firewall and try to update Discord again
Note: Remember to turn the Firewall back on afterwards
Solution #3: Disable Your Antivirus Program
A third party antivirus can sometimes be the cause of Discord not updating properly.
Some antivirus apps quarantine safe files, wrongly thinking they are dangerous ones.
- Open your antivirus and disable its protection.
- Go to Task Manager and make sure none of the antivirus processes are running.
- Now go to the location where you downloaded the Discord update, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator to update it, ignoring any warning messages that might come up.
Solution #4: Install Discord to Another Folder
If the above solutions don’t work, try installing the program to another folder on your computer.
Find the Discord folder on your computer and move it somewhere else, then try updating it again, selecting the new location of the folder when the installation wizard asks where to install.
Solution #5: Rename the Update File
- Open File Explorer
- Type this in the path field: %LocalAppData%
- Locate the update.exe file in the Discord folder
- Change its name to something else
- Try to update it again
Hopefully one of the above five solutions will fix your Discord not updating issue. If you are still unable to update Discord, you can check video guide below or try to contact Discord Customer Support.